A CT or CAT (computed axial tomography) scan combines X-ray and computer technology to show highly detailed, 3-D images of any part of the body, including bones, muscles, fat, organs and blood vessels. Scans can also be performed using a contrast solution (either swallowed or injected) to make tissues and vessels more visible.
Leading-edge CT technology
The Philips Brilliance 16-slice scanner is one of the most advanced CT technologies available — it can capture images of the organs in seconds, and perform a whole body scan in 30 seconds. This technology results in less radiation exposure for patients, and can be used to examine a wider range of conditions — everything from exams of the organs, spine, lungs and colon, to advanced techniques such as angiography, bone densities and 3D bone imaging.
Summit Medical Center offers innovative diagnostic procedures using the Philips Brilliance16-slice scanner, including:
- Triple RuleOut™ – Three primary causes of mortality in patients with chest pain are aortic dissection, pulmonary embolism and coronary artery disease. Summit Medical Center doctors can use this single, quick scan to help diagnose chest pain.
- Stroke WorkUp – When treatment is delivered within the first hour after a stroke, it can provide the best possible outcome for the patient. The Philips Brilliance provides the necessary speed and resolution required for rapid imaging of blood vessels in the brain, so doctors can begin treatment as quickly as possible.
Advanced CT techniques
We provide a range of advanced CT-guided techniques that doctors use in both diagnosis and interventional radiology treatments, including:
- Biopsies and abscess drainages
- Bone density scans
- CT angiography/arteriography
- Image-guided surgeries and pre-surgical planning
- Myelography (spine imaging with contrast solution)
To schedule a CT scan or other screening exam, please call (479) 471-4467. Same day appointments are available most days.